Massage – The Benefits and Types
New Jersey residents from Dover, Peapack, Bedminster and more choose our conveniently located Long Valley spa for massage therapy.
Massage has been around for thousands of years in many cultures as a healing tool. Massage therapy has been practiced by healers who have developed a wide range of therapeutic techniques using touch. Proven by science, massage therapy has benefits ranging from treating chronic diseases and injuries to alleviating stress in our modern lifestyles.
Massage therapy is not only a luxury and used to just relax your body and mind, it helps change the specific physiological and psychological characteristics that occur when used as a frequent therapy. The evidence shows that the more massage you can allow yourself, the better you will feel.
Massage therapy can be used in many vital ways such as a natural pain reliever, helps with depression and reduces stress levels, lowers anxiety, increases blood flow and improves immune system functioning. Below are quick examples of how massage is imperative to living healthier.
Massage therapy can be used as a natural pain reliever. Massages reduce muscle tension which helps trigger the release of natural pain relieving chemicals in the brain and endorphins that lead to the relief of overall pain.
Depression and reduced stress levels can be greatly lowered with the help of massage therapy. Massage increases the level of serotonin in the brain which lessens or helps prevent depression. Anxiety can be relieved when massage increases relaxation and reduces tension. The increase of serotonin also helps reduce anxiety. Rapid heart rate is a physical symptom of anxiety and studies have shown that massage therapy can reduce this symptom.
Anxiety, depression and pain often can cause lack of sleep (insomnia). Massage helps relieve those symptoms which lead to better sleep and improved health.
Massage therapy go hand in hand with blood flow throughout the body and helps improve immune system functioning. Skin is the body’s largest organ. Massage progresses circulation which enhances blood flow to all organs. Good blood circulation from massage improves the condition of the skin. In addition, better blood flow through massage slows the heart rate and lowers blood pressure.
The lymphatic systems helps purge the body of toxins, pathogens, waste and debris. Massage improves immune system function by stimulating the lymphatic system. Massage therapy helps lymph fluid circulate which enhances the lymphatic system. The cardiovascular system needs a heart to pump the blood through the system. Massage therapy helps pump the fluid through the lymphatic systems which helps rid the body of unwanted toxins.
Massage essentially stimulates the body’s natural healing abilities through stroking, kneading and hitting the body with an understanding of the principles of human anatomy. There are many different types of massage therapy. The most commonly used are as follows:
- Deep Tissue Massage – This massage is aimed at the deeper connective tissue in the body. Deep tissue massage uses harder, slower strokes to help recover from injuries, release tense or tight muscles and help with postural problems.
- Swedish Massage is the most common massage. This massage uses long, gentle kneading strokes which is extremely relaxing. Swedish massage helps reduce stress and improves circulation.
- Hot Stone Massage uses heated stones placed on the body to loosen tight muscles and to warm the body. Hot stone massage is gentle and used for back pain, stress relief, insomnia and tension.
- Shiatsu is the form of bodywork by pressing and holding certain pressure points. Shiatsu is used for headaches, recovery from injuries and back pain.
- Sports massage focuses less on relaxation and more on flexibility, stretching and injury prevention. Sports massage is for more athletic and active people.
- Reiki is a light touch, gentle non invasive healing practice. Reiki energy flows from the practitioner hands into client. The practitioner places their hands on or near the client’s body in a series of hand positions. These include positions around the head and shoulders, stomach and feet. Each position is held 3 to 10 minutes depending on how much Reiki is needed at each position.
- Aromatherapy stimulates the nerves in the nose by using plant’s aroma producing oils or essential oils to treat disease. Those nerves send impulses to the part of the brain that controls memory and emotion. Depending on the type of oil, the result on the body may be calming or stimulating.
- NEW Myofascial Release/Cupping Massage treats skeletal muscle immobility and pain by relaxing contracted muscles, improving blood lymphatic circulation & stimulating stretch reflex in muscles.
- NEW Baby’s First Massage – bring your baby along. Learn a little about colic, nursing issues and bonding. Benefits include breastfeeding, range of motion of arms and legs and making baby feel relaxed. Up to 3 couples per session. Includes a training manual to take home.
Sample hometowns of our massage therapy clients include Chester, Califon, Mendham, Flanders, Tewksbury, Glen Gardner, Port Murray, Mount Olive, Hackettstown, Mansfield, Allamuchy, Independence, Voorhees, Lebanon, Roxbury, Randolph, Hopatcong, Morristown, Somerville, Berkeley Heights, Madison, Bound Brook, Manville, Florham Park, New Providence, Middlesex, North Plainfield and East Hanover